Strand on the Green was named in 1353 (Strand meaning shore) and has a long history. The City Barge, The Bell and Crown and The Bulls Head were licensed by the mid-18th century.
Oliver's Island is a small eyot in the river Thames opposite Strand-on-the-Green. It acquired its name after rumours that Oliver Cromwell used the island as a hide-out and held military councils at the Bull's Head pub during the English Civil War.
Chiswick Mall grew up as a fishing village around St. Nicholas church. For centuries fishermen and watermen used the waterfront of old Chiswick to deliver goods to riverside businesses and the surrounding area.
Chiswick High Road developed from the 18th century onwards, built up with inns, large houses and the long gone Chiswick Empire. it is now a thriving, fashionable shopping and eating area.
William Hogarth - pictorial satirist, social critic and editorial cartoonist lived in Chiswick, and he is buried in St Nicholas churchyard, Chiswick Mall.