Sitting on the banks of the Thames at Strand on the Green. Grand Georgian townhouses sit beside a Flemish style terrace with the classic Victorian public house of The Bell and Crown close at hand. Radically diverse historical examples of grand houses, cottages, industrial buildings and the historic Bulls Head public house sit side by side.
Strand on the Green was named in 1353 (Strand meaning shore) and has a long history. Industries included malt-houses, repair yards, barge-builders and wharves. The City Barge, The Bell and Crown and The Bulls Head were licensed by the mid-18th century. The City Barge was renamed in 1807, when it was changed in honour of the Lord Mayors City barge moored over winter nearby.
Oliver's Island is a small eyot in the river Thames opposite Strand-on-the-Green. It acquired its name after rumours that Oliver Cromwell used the island as a hide-out and held military councils at the Bull's Head pub during the English Civil War.