CLICK ON PICTURE TO ZOOM IN
Widcombe and Bath increased in size during the 18th and 19th centuries, so Late Georgian villas and terraces were built to accommodate the families of the middle classes and retired officers who flocked to the area.
Between 1801 and 1841 Widcombe's population trebled from just fewer than 3,000 to just over 9,000. Lyncombe Hill, Caroline Buildings, Widcombe Hill, Crescent and Terrace, Prior Park Buildings and many others all date from the early 1800s.
The 19th century also brought commerce, industry, travel and employment to Widcombe. This meant the Kennet and Avon Canal in 1810, Brunel's Great Western Railway in 1841 and the Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway in 1874 running through Lyncombe Vale and now converted as part of The Two Tunnels cycle and walkway.
Locations Left to Right:
1 Widcombe Hill. Originally part of St Matthews Church it is now home of Baths famous Natural Theatre group
2 Prior Park Road. One of a row of distinctive semi-detached villas
3 Lyncombe Hill. The houses in this terrace at the bottom of Lyncombe Hill are half the width of a other Georgian houses of the same period. Halved vertically, on 5 floors and one window width they were originally built for unmarried mothers.
4 Prior Park Road. Hope Cottage. Tucked at the end of Prior Park Buildings. Once named Good Hope it may once have been a chapel or a public house
5 Widcombe Mill. ‘Thimble Mill’ circa 1830 housed a steam-powered pump to pump water up the canal to the locks
6 Church Street. Widcombe Manor.is adjacent to St Thomas à Beckett Church. This magnificent house was built in 1656 and then rebuilt in 1727.
Limited Edition of 100. 30 sold so far.
Widcombe in Bath
Luca and Fig. 6 Widcombe Parade, Bath BA2 4JT 01225 571827