The second picture in a series of four of Strand on the Green.
The picture is 88cm wide but displayed here in two parts to show detail.
Strand on the Green was named in 1353 (Strand meaning shore) and has a long history. Industries included malt-houses, repair yards, barge-builders and wharves. The City Barge, The Bell and Crown and The Bulls Head were licensed by the mid-18th century. The City Barge was renamed in 1807, when it was changed in honour of the Lord Mayors City barge moored over winter nearby.
Oliver's Island is a small eyot in the river Thames opposite Strand-on-the-Green. It acquired its name after rumours that Oliver Cromwell used the island as a hide-out and held military councils at the Bull's Head pub during the English Civil War.
LIMITED EDITION OF 250
Edition: up to number 2 of 250
Size: Standard size 9 x 54cm. Large size 88 x 10.5cm
Buy: from: Fosters' Bookshop 183 Chiswick High Road London W4 2DR. 020 8995 2768